This is a very general roadmap that emphasizes major milestone goals for potential users or developers who are interested in the project. We removed dates for now, as they weren't being accurately met. We now track specific in an instance of Jira. It does not reflect the full extent of the development, and it will change.
Our first development themes are 1) adding data to the system, and 2) improving our semantics. We want to handle data more efficiently, and when we add/import data we want to understand what that data means.
- Project - User/project related
- Basic - Nomenclature, Taxa (OTUs), Specimens
- Annotation - Notes, Tags, Data Attributes etc.
- Matrix - Matrix capabilities, bifurcating keys, generated descriptions
- Media - Images, PDFs, Sounds, anything that is a file (these may be incrementally added, starting first with PDFs, then images)
Unify development on Postgres and OS X laptops
Live sandbox builds for workbench
Simple "Project" and "Basic" functionality
- Workbench production build
- Production version of sandbox builds in Milestone 2
- Simple "public" interfaces for production data
- Simple navigation through nomenclature, and taxon pages
- Production matrix, media and annotation functionality
- Sandbox Matrix, Annotation and Media functionality (moved from Milestone 3)
Following this the theme will be 1) getting data out of the system (APIs, exports, etc.), and 2) integration with other biodiversity resources. In addition a major focus will be migrating existing projects into TaxonWorks (i.e. from mx, SpeciesFiles, and 3i).
Finally, with a system relatively well in place our development themes are to facilitate analysis and scientific publications.